"Blinking lights of death" ? Netgear Switch GS108

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 30 02:23:50 UTC 2009

Has the device firmware been pharmed or simply partly flashed and then a
power failure struck?

If you would like to donate the unit to me, I'll try to find the time to
take a look at it in the next few months. I'm still very much an
amateur, and I'd like to try analyzing why the unit is not working and
see if I can fix it. This assumes physical damage to the circuit board
of some sort.

This would be with the understanding that both the unit and the power
supply brick are a donation to me, and are not items sent to me for
commercial repair. I'm not that good yet! There should be no expectation
of getting the unit back. I might brick it. I might make a big smelly
puddle of molten circuit board. I could easily be its utter ruination!

Also, the amateur examination/amateur diagnosis/amateur repair effort
would be done on my own time and at a time I choose. Right now, I do
have some very sick people in my family, and it might be a couple months
before I can work on the unit.

Now lets suppose that through some miracle, I actually manage to fix the
device. In that case, I'll ship it back to you at my expense, and at no
other charge to you. I'll consider myself richer for the fun of trying
to fix it and succeeding. Again, have no expectation of this happening.
I can't estimate how sufficient my lowly skills are. Then again,
Netgear's construction techniques probably need improving!

I'm willing to pay for shipping and handling.

If all the above is acceptable, contact me off list and we can discuss
it more.

Bob