How to find which disk a LUN is mapped to

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Apr 30 02:33:15 UTC 2009

Paul Ward wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to find out which disk LUN6 points to on my RH3 box.
>
> I have looked at /proc/scsi/scsi
> This gives me LUNS from 00 to 05
> Does this mean 05 is infact LUN06?

If I remember correctly, it does.

> If so where can I see where that device is then mapped to?

LUNs are usually all on the same piece of hardware. For example, a
tape drive with a tape changer could have the tape drive as one LUN,
and the changer as another LUN, but they both use the same SCSI
device number. Another possibility is a LUN controller with multiple
IDE CD/DVD ROM drives attached. Each drive would be a separate LUN
on the same SCSI device number. Sometimes you will run into a CD
changer CD drive with each disk having its own LUN. (I had a 5 disk
changer that worked that way.)

Without knowing you hardware, we can not tell you what device you
are looking at. But there should be a group of lines in
/proc/scsi/scsi with the first line listing the controller card, the
channel, the SCSI ID, and the LUN. There should be a description of
the device below that. All the listings that have the same
controller, channel, and ID, but differing LUNs should be the same
hardware device. Look at the descriptions.

Mikkel