Vonage phone service on a network with Fedora...

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 1 00:43:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 19:27:02 -0500
Linus Ulrick wrote:

> So, my question is, has anyone with two or more Fedora/Linux systems on a local
> network that is also running a mail server on one of the systems been able to
> successfully connect the Vonage V-Portal Phone Adapter to their network and
> still have their network function exactly as it did before the adapter was
> installed?

Yes.

I set up a Vonage thing a few months ago and it works fine. The network I
hooked it up to is on a cable ISP's network and has a "static address", meaning
that it has an IP address permanently assigned by the cable company to the mac
address of the first router behind the modem.

On most cable networks, your IP address is tied to your mac address.  If you
change the device that talks to the modem, you get a different IP address
because you're exposing a different mac address.