pulseaudio - WOW

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 04:06:31 UTC 2009

On 07/31/2009 08:46 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Uh, I don't use pulseaudio at all, just alsa, and I can run
>> audacious,
>> vlc and mplayer simultaneously and hear all of them. Of
>> course, I can't
>> set the volume of each individually, but why would I want
>> to do this in
>> the first place.
>>
>> Most recent (last 10 years) sound hardware has a hardware
>> mixer. You
>> don't need a software layer to make it work.
>>

> But the developers give it to you for FREE*, even though you might not be interested in it? and it may not work for you, but will still get it whether you want to or not?  Nah, I am just answering for the FUN OF IT :)
> hope no one is offended, just trying to have a bit of fun here!
>
> BTW,
> I don't know why but *it seems to me* that Fedora will jump to kernel 2.6.31 as soon as it is released.  Just yesterday 2.6.30.4 was released and I have it installed learning the patching process and applying it.  Why do I believe that Fedora will jump to 2.6.31?, since on rawhide 2.6.31.rc kernels are being run, and also that Fedora skipped 2.6.28 kernels altogether and jumped to 2.6.29.X kernels :)
>
> I apologize in advance for the (BTW), but since I know that John runs latest kernels and I am kind of following this trend.  It does feel strange not to be running an official Fedora kernel, but Fedora is staying behind, for [1], [2], [3]? reasons.  Also while on this topic, will Fedora 12 move to gcc 4.5 snapshots since gcc has been bumped to 4.4.1?
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

> [1] the hack that defeated selinux and other security problems with null pointers
> [2] too many features are present in 2.6.30 that might break systems so developers are playing it safe
> [3] will jump to 2.6.31 kernels because those are being tested via rawhide and new features introduced that it would be safe to jump this way?

I was just expressing some irritation at pulseaudio. Remember how bad
network manager was when it was first released? I expect that pulseaudio
will eventually turn into a first class audio system, it just needs some
more work.

I don't expect that F11 will get a 2.6.31 kernel, do you?  Of course,
nothing should stop anyone from installing it themselves, I know I will.
I don't run the latest 2.6.31rc kernels, because I do need to use my
computer (for something other than kernel testing).

Of course, F12 will have 2.6.31 so it makes sense for it to be in
rawhide now.

Regards,

John