The ideal mail client?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 14:28:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 09:15 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:12:18 +0100
> Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Evolution really can't cope with large amounts of mail. Thats one big
> > reason I moved to claws. The fact everything else was suddenely faster
> > was a big boon.
>
> Yea, and right up to the time I abandoned evolution, every update
> made it worse, not better :-(. With claws, the updates either help
> or at least don't hinder.

I've been tempted to jump ship to Claws for some time. The main reason I
haven't done it is that it still doesn't implement correct IMAP deletion
of messages* and Evolution does. I've reported this to the Claws list
and apparently it's to be fixed in version 4, but Fedora is still on
3.7.

poc

* i.e. deleting a message simply marks it, and expunging a folder
removes marked messages. This is how IMAP is defined to work. Copying
messages to a physical Trash folder is evil :-)