The ideal mail client?

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 1 21:09:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 12:21 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 31.07.2009, 16:17 -0700 schrieb Jonathan Ryshpan:
> > On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 23:29 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> > > For your personal needs evolution seems perfect.
> >
> > I find evolution (which I am using right now) to be very buggy.  It has
> > been crashing several times per day, sometimes only minutes after being
> > started.  I have a fairly large number of messages now, 82,760 to be
> > exact which may have some effect on this.
> >
> > > You can handle maildirs and have gpg support out of the box via some
> > > checkboxes.
> >
> > I'd like to try out maildirs, which I used in the past, but can't find
> > the checkboxes.  I thought support for maildirs had been withdrawn a few
> > years ago.
>
> You only need to set your server setting (where you normally set pop or
> imap) to "email in maildir format" setting. That works great for me ;)

This seems to mean that if I go to
        Edit->Preferences->Mail Accounts->Receiving Email
and then change the Server Type in the pull down menu from POP (as it is
now) to Maildir, then Evolution will continue to fetch my email from the
appropriate pop server, and then store it all in folders of maildir
format.

I don't think this is likely.  I suspect that what you *really* mean is
that if some other program (say fetchmail) downloads email from the pop
server and stores it in maildir style folders, then Evolution can manage
it properly.  Is this correct?  If so, do you know any program to
convert my folders, now in mbox format, into maildir format?

Thanks - jon