Problem: CUPS re-writing printers.conf

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Sat Aug 1 22:23:17 UTC 2009

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> I've never done this, so I'm just throwing out ideas for you to consider.
>> You
>> are connecting to alfred in order to print.  If you set up printers in
>> samba you have to set whether the driver is going to be local or remote -
>> how do you do that in the cups setup?
>>

> Thanks again for your response.
>
> When setting up the printer on the laptop,
> I say that it is a network printer, choose http as the protocol,
> and give the URI of the printer, in this case
> 	http://192.168.2.1:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5L .
>
> (The printer is never found by clicking on Network Find Printer.)
>

>> The other thing that comes to mind is that because it is attached to
>> alfred,
>> you definitely have to authenticate there.  You'd need either matching
>> username and password or user-mapping, I would have thought.
>>

> There is no suggestion that one has to setup anything,
> and I don't see where one could set username/password
> in any of the CUPS files.
>

>> Hope it starts off some useful train o thought.
>>

> Yes, thanks.
> I'll try setting up some form of authentication,
> or else try turning it off.
> But when I googled for the error message,
> none of those who encountered the problem
> seemed to have found any simple solution.

I may be coming in late on this but my laptop configuration specifies

ipp://192.168.2.2:631/printers/psc-2400-series

192.168.2.2 is configured to host this USB printer locally and it's
"URL" is

hp:/usb/psc_2400_series?serial=MY39FD200F8H

Perhaps you can try using the printer protocol (ipp) instead of http ?