Problem: CUPS re-writing printers.conf

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Aug 2 00:12:54 UTC 2009

Richard England wrote:

>> When setting up the printer on the laptop,
>> I say that it is a network printer, choose http as the protocol,
>> and give the URI of the printer, in this case
>> http://192.168.2.1:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_5L .

> I may be coming in late on this but my laptop configuration specifies
>
> ipp://192.168.2.2:631/printers/psc-2400-series
>
> 192.168.2.2 is configured to host this USB printer locally and it's
> "URL" is
>
> hp:/usb/psc_2400_series?serial=MY39FD200F8H
>
> Perhaps you can try using the printer protocol (ipp) instead of http ?

Thanks for your response.
I did try ipp instead of http at one point.
as well as AppSocket/HP JetDirect .
But I think that was when I was using hp-setup.
I'll try it again directly.

I've put in a bug report for this problem,
and been asked to run a diagnostic test, which I have done.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net