Firefox on F9 with latest 64bit flash

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 21:02:32 UTC 2009

I'm having a problem with firefox and the latest 64 bit flashplayer on
F9.  Every time I go to youtube.com firefox crashes with the following:

$ firefox
/usr/lib64/firefox-3.0.11/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 24767 Segmentation
fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

has anyone else seen this?

I moved my ~/.mozilla directory out of the way and restarted firefox.
This resulted in a new ~/.mozilla and everything works fine at this
point.  I can go to youtube.com and firefox doesn't crash.  I can't play
any videos since they require the flash plugin.   I create
.mozilla/plugins and copy libflashplayer.so into that directory and
restart firefox.  As soon as I go to youtube.com firefox crashes.

$ md5sum .mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
9903881108ff7cd954a3adf0d00185d3  .mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

$ file ~/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
/home/pgaltieri/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB
shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

I have the same version of libflashplayer.so running on F11 and firefox
does not crash there, however, I'm running the 3.5.1 version of firefox
on F11.

I tried an older version of libflashplayer.so and the same thing happened.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Paolo