Automatically grant user permission to use USB scanner in F11 x86_64

stan gryt2 at q.com
Mon Aug 3 00:09:47 UTC 2009

I managed to get a usb scanner working for root, but I don't want to
always have to go into /dev/bus/usb/002/ and change the permissions so a
regular user can use it.  Is there an elegant way to allow a regular
user to run xsane for a USB scanner?   That works even when it is not
present at boot but is hot plugged later?

I didn't find anything in a web search, though there were hints that
this could be done through udev rules in /etc/udev/rules.d somehow.
There doesn't appear to be a scanner group or a usb group to add my user
to, and I think that creating an fstab entry with user permissions like
cd and dvd for usb is obsolete.

So, what is the solution?