Automatically grant user permission to use USB scanner in F11 x86_64

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Aug 3 02:30:49 UTC 2009

stan wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 19:43:51 -0500
> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
>
>> There used to be a rule set for scaners in /etc/udev/rules.d that
>> created a scanner symlink, and set permissions. But can't seem to
>> find it any more. This makes me suspect that HAL or ConsoleKit has
>> taken over. It is possible that your scanner is not being recognized
>> by the software... If so, this would be a good time to file a bug
>> report so they can add it to the list.
>
> Yeah, it is a scanner that hasn't been supported in sane before this
> (Visioneer OneTouch 7400, the Visioneer OneTouch 7300 is supported), so
> there will be lots of things to do.  I'll be reporting to sane, so maybe
> it will get fixed via upstream.

If they use the same protocal, then it is mainly a matter of adding
the usb ID.

>> In the mean time, you can write a udev rule to set permissions on
>> the device. Does "ls /dev/scanner*" show a symlink for the scanner?
>
> In my searching so far, this seems to be obsolete because it used the
> scanner module in the kernel.  The modern solution is to use libusb for
> usb scanners.

Do you want a quick and dirty fix, or a somewhat better, but more
complicated fix? Simple fixes:

mount -o remount,devmode=664,gid=<group_number> /proc/bus/usb

Replace <group_number> with the number of the group you want to give
access. Maybe create a scanner group.

mount -o remount,devmode=666 /proc/bus/usb

This gives access to everybody.

The problem with both of these is that it gives access to all the
USB devices.

A more complicated solution involves a udev rule tailored to your
scanner that sets the ownership/permissions for the device. I have a
setup like that for allowing specific devices to be used in
VirtualBox virtual machines if you want it.

Mikkel