How to gut &%$#&#@ Firefox?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Aug 3 03:26:34 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 10:24 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> Thomas Cameron wrote:

>>> Not minimizing your pain, but I don't understand the problem.  The
>>> language packs are pretty small - all told they come out to about 17MB
>>> on my system.  Even if you don't use them, then that's not a lot of disk
>>> space or network transfer volume.  If you ever do need them, they're
>>> pretty nice to have.
>>>

>> I agree 100% and have added my comment to bugzilla.
>>

> If there's no downside to having them, why is there a dialogue for
> disabling them? If the dialogue is required, a) why is it so damn stupid
> and b) why aren't the settings preserved across updates, as they are for
> every other configuration option Firefox has? There's really no excuse
> for this.

Then is that the "real" bug/problem.

Why not file a bugzilla that addresses "language pack settings not
preserved across updates"?

I still can't figure out any benefit to disable them....but seems some
have determined it has value.  Wonder what it is...

>> I can easily see any cure for this "illness" being much worse in the
>> long run.
>>

> Just replacing the large number of buttons (which are all on by default)
> with checkboxes would go a long way to making this a non-issue,
> especially if the state were preserved across versions. Even a button
> for "turn off all additional languages" would do it. This is User
> Interfaces 101.

Maybe the best thing to do would be have all the language packs in there
to make distribution easy but hide them from people.....  :-)

--
There appears to be irrefutable evidence that the mere fact of
overcrowding induces violence. -- Harvey Wheeler