Sorta OT - anyone replaced MSFT Sharepoint with any OSS products?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Aug 3 06:00:37 UTC 2009

On 08/02/2009 08:07 PM, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> All -
>
> I have a friend who owns a small business and who uses Microsoft Office
> SharePoint Server (MOSS) 2007.  As you might suspect, it's a car with
> the hood welded shut, and I hate it.  I help him out with IT stuff and
> I've had to fight MOSS 2007 for some time.  It is agonizingly painful,
> and it's a massive security risk as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I've heard that Alfresco can replace MOSS.  Anyone got any experience
> with this kind of migration?
>
> Thanks
> Thomas

Sharepoint is another MS 'embrace extend extinguish' effort.  In this
case the 'standard' is WEBDAV that they butchered.

There are many really good WEBDAV based projects out there.  Start at
webdav.org.

To illustrate, if you have a webdav enabled apache server available, you
can use any modern version of MS Word to save or retrieve from it, using
a complete URL in the file name.

Happy hunting!