How to gut &%$#&#@ Firefox?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Aug 3 06:44:11 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>
>>> If you running on a computer with limited space, such as flash RAMs on
>>> those mini laptops, then the more space you can save, the better.  17
>>> megs here, 10 megs there, it all adds up.  And I have noticed that it's
>>> quicker to start Firefox when they're all disabled.
>>>

> Ed Greshko:
>
>> If it is really true that start up is quicker with them disabled, and
>> I have serious doubts about it,
>>

> Try it and see.  It certainly is here, on several computers.

I did...just now....

Using a Nokia powered stop watch....

2 systems...both fully updated F11, no added extensions, no added
themes, both with the same 11 plugins.  Both browsers configured to
start with blank pages.

I started firefox from a terminal window and stopped the timer when the
full widow was up...  I did it 10X each for all enabled and all
disabled, total of 40 firefox starts.

The average time for all enabled was 4.12 seconds.  The average time for
all disabled was 4.15 seconds.

Full disclosure: To make things easier (since both systems are
equivalent) I saved the .firefox directory from one system and copied it
to the second system.  I did the same after going through the list of
language packs to disable them.

So....no difference.....

Frankly, the start up time would need to be significantly different and
consistently repeatable for me to notice...so it was a good exercise.

>> then the code to pick which *single* language pack is seriously
>> broken.
>>

> I wouldn't be surprised.
>
> It's just like another plug-in.  Fire up Firefox with several plug-ins,
> and takes longer to start up.

I don't think it is quite the same as another plugin.  A simple decision
is being made to decide if a single jar file is to be loaded or not.

Anyway, my tests indicate absolutely no difference in start up
times...and I think I've taken sufficient steps to ensure both systems
under test were equal.

WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get. Mei-Mei.Greshko at greshko.com
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg