auto-updates

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Tue Aug 4 17:30:36 UTC 2009

I just installed Fedora 11 on my new pc.  Shortly
thereafter I was presented with a pop-up box that
said 28 security updates were available.  I (foolishly
as it turned out) clicked the update button.  My
internet connection is a modem and the machine
has been downloading for about 20 hours now.
Clicking on the little updater icon in the Gnome
panel does not offer any information or control.

So... how do I find out:
* What it is downloading?
* What is the total size of the downloads?
* How much is done, how much remains?
* How to pause it so I can get my email?
* How do I turn off auto-updates permanently?
  (In System->Prefs->Software Updates I had set
  "Check for updates" and "Check for major updates"
  to "Never" but it still seems to be checking.