OFF-TOPIC: Algol 60 guru required

Hiisi very-cool at rambler.ru
Tue Aug 4 19:39:59 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:46:14 +0200
> From: Mogens Kjaer <mk at crc.dk>
> Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC: Algol 60 guru required
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement,	and advice for using
> 	Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> On 08/04/2009 08:28 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> > D(N+1):=N(N+2):=0.0;
> > It's accessible here:
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=355694.355701
>
> Maybe a mistyping in the .gz file on that page?
>
> Is the original code published in CACM available as a PDF
> file somewhere?
>
> Mogens

It isn't. Or at least I couldn't find it.

> Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 01:20:09 -0700
> From: Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh at pacbell.net>
>
> The same function is available in FORTRAN at:
> http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=357456.357465 -> 600.gz
>
> These pages refer to the actual papers as .pdf files and to the
> algorithms as .gz files, both downloadable.
>
> The FORTRAN implementation doesn't seem to have the perplexing line in
> it at all (if present it would be around line 296 of the FORTRAN).  I
> suspect that the line is a typo, and should read:
> 	D(N+1):=D(N+2):=0.0;
> or some such thing.  It appears to be initialization for the following
> lines, which are:
> 	FOR I:=N STEP -1 UNTIL N1 DO
> 	  D(I):=(D(I)-C(I)*D(I+1)-D(I+2))*B(I);
> The FORTRAN takes advantage of the fact that (if my rusty FORTRAN is
> correct) in FORTRAN arrays are initialized to 0.0 by the run time
> system, so the initialization is not necessary.  To verify all this
> someone will have to take a careful look at the original math in
> the .pdf files.
>
> (Fun, but *really* OT.)

You're right. And the person, who needs to verify all this is me. I just
was trying to do it easy. Now I understand - it's impossible. Need to
write the whole program from scratch. By the way, I also have to use
another algorithm. The initial procedure builds quintic natural spline.
Semi-local smoothing spline would suit better to my task. But that's too
more as for this list, as for this off-topic thread...

--
Hiisi.