reliable gigabit NICs for fedora?

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Tue Aug 4 23:02:59 UTC 2009

On 08/04/2009 02:41 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I see just enough complaints about various gigabit network
> adapters in various versions of linux that I'm slightly
> leery of just buying whatever I can find and slapping it
> in the system :-).
>
> Anyone using gigabit (and actually using the bandwidth
> too :-) who can recommend some adapters that work well
> in fedora 11?
>
> I've got PCI as well as PCIE 1x slots available (PCI
> only in some systems though).

If Jumbo frames are important to you, choose your hardware carefully, as
some Gigabit nics (including some from Intel) cannot handle jumbo frames
and some can but not full size i.e. <9k).

Some examples (a bit old bit demonstrates a point).
http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/jumbo-clean-gear.html

<gripe>
For example, I recently purchased an Aopen MiniPC MP965-D, and it cannot
do Jumbo Frames at all :(  these particular devices are _extremely_
Linux unfriendly.
</gripe>