How to rescue an encrypted root filesystem? - anaconda bug?

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Wed Aug 5 02:36:11 UTC 2009

Mail Lists wrote:
> On 08/04/2009 01:25 AM, Derek Tattersall wrote:
>
>> Well, I screwed up.
>>
>> I tried to upgrade from f10 to f11, and it seems to have failed. It gets
>>

>   I have found that anaconda can be buggy when dealing with encrypted
> filesystems - this may or may not be your problem however.
>
>   One bug seems to be that it uses the wrong UUID id when it creates the
> luks data and so it fails to mount correctly. You can easily hand edit
> the files and either put the correct UUID use a simpler scheme.
>
>  See this post for example (scuse wrapped URL)

Anaconda had no trouble dealing with the encrypted filesystem. The disk
is still there and readable. The problem  was in the upgrade process.
There were so many problems with dependencies that, after upgrading, the
init scripts just hung after throwing a great many errors about missing
libraries. I couldn't tell you which ones, there were so many errors,
and they scrolled by so fast that I couldn't note them down.

I have booted off of the liveCD and mounted the disk using the howto I
found here: http://feraga.com/node/51. I have been able to get all the
data off the disk, and am in the process of re-installing f11 from scratch.

> http://www.nabble.com/f11---ext4-and-encryption-fails-to-create--dev-mapper-luks-xxx-to24339441.html#a24339704
>
>   gene/

Derek Tattersall