low-level formatter for linux

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 5 08:42:18 UTC 2009

From: "Markus Kesaromous" <remotestar at live.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 2009/August/04 20:45

>> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 03:33:25 +0000
>> From: geleem at bellsouth.net
>>
>> Markus Kesaromous wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a low-level HD formatter for linux?
>>
>> linux-google search "low-level+format", will give 97k hits.
>>
>> mainly, for a truly oem *low-level format* you need an oem format
>> program.
>> they are available in dos format.
>>
>> you will get advice to use 'dd' to zero out sectors.
>>
>> you will find programs to do all sorts of security erasers.
>>

>> for all practical purposes of clearing up why you need 'llf',
>>
>> did you now have live-in girl friend and you want to be sure
>> she does not find your pron? ;)
>>
>> your boss caught you with it on *his* computer?
>>

>> for practical purposes, girl friend included, using
>> 'dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdn bs=65536'
>> will removed any thing you need to worry about.
>>

>> for legal reasons, fbi, irs, boss, etc, log;
>> http://www.linux-kurser.dk/secure_harddisk_eraser.html
>> for a type of 'erase' programs available.
>>
>> there are many more, so you can look thru rest of 97k,
>> or modify "low-level+formatter" to lessen.
>>
>> much fun to you. :)
>>
>> --
>>
>> peace out.
>>
>> tc,hago.

> Why I need to do low level formatting?
> Disk monitor is reporting 93 uncorrectable sector errors.
>
> Is that a good enough reason? :)
>
> PS: If I had something on the disk to hide from prying eyes, I would
> resort
> to a very simple solution: break open the drive (very easyli done), and
> place the platters on the fire grill for about 60 minutes. Ask a physics
> professor. See what he has to say about it :)

Markus, it's dead. Get worthwhile data off of it. Then destroy it in your
preferred manner. When drives accumulate more errors than there were spares
when it was originally formatted it's toast.

You might get a few more months off of it. How much is that worth to you
at the risk of the disk becoming unreadable? That many errors suggests the
head is damaged or for some reason the oxide is flaking off. Once the head
is damaged or the oxide does strange things there is little hope for the
drive's future.

{^_^}