Methods of setting Disk Partitions.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:15:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Michael D. Setzer
II<mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> Is there a better way to setup the disk partitioning?
> Usually, I've let the installation just create the partitions, and it has created
> the small boot partition and then the LVM with the rest of the space. With
> smaller disk this is OK, but with large disks the LVM partition is huge, so
> doing image backups takes like 1 hour 30 minutes for a 250GB disk. I've
> tried to adjust the size, but the best method I've come up with so far is this.
>
> Just installed a new X64 system with a 500GB disk, and ended up during the
> install switching to screen 2, and using fdisk to create a 200MB /dev/sda1
> and 40GB /dev/sda2 and then created a FAT32 partition /dev/sda3 with the
> rest of the space. Then wrote the setup to disk. Then used fdisk to delete the
> first two partitions. Then continued with the install, and told it to use free
> space, and it installed just using space at the beginning. After finishing, I was
> able to reformat the /dev/sda3 to ext4 as a test.
>
> This way I can quickly do an image of the boot and the LVM parition to be
> able to restore the machine if needed.

You can customize the partitioning scheme during install. In your case
I would do the following. Let Anaconda setup the default partition/LVM
layout but check the box to allow you to customize it. Then leave the
whole volume group partition but adjust the logical volume down to
40-50GB of whatever you want. If you start to run out of space later
you can add extents to it. I'm not sure what backup method you're
using but you may have to change it to backing up the logical volume
instead of imaging the physical volume if that's what your doing.

Richard