system-config-network "activate", "deactivate" button greyed out

stan gryt2 at
Wed Aug 5 18:24:40 UTC 2009

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:29:40 +0800
daniel shi <yooounet at> wrote:

> hi guys,
> i've installed  fedora 10 on my laptop, there is a problem with  the
> "activate" and "deactivate" button in the system-config-network
> 1.5.95, they are grey all the time.  system-config-network worked
> fine on fedora 8, someone reported a bug
> this problem
> on fedora 9. is this still an unfixed bug on f10,or just
> because i misconfigured something?
> any idea will be appreriated, thanks in advance.

Not sure if any of this will help, but some possible ideas to get you

In Fedora 10, NetworkManager is the default.  If you run gnome, you
should see a little network icon in the upper right.  It probably has a
red X through it.  Click on it, and a NM dialog asking whether you want
to activate the connection should come up.

If you go into system->administration->services is NM active?  How about
network?  Only one or the other should be active at a time.

Can you configure the hardware from the dialog?

You can poke around in /etc/sysconfig/networking and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to see if you find anything obviously
wrong in the configuration.

On the other hand, this *could* be a bug.  When I ran F10 I didn't have
a problem, but you might because of your hardware.  If it is, go to and open a new one for your problem.