Booting with the uncompressed image (vmlinux)

Mani mani2885 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 04:01:09 UTC 2009

Hello,
I am trying to install and boot kernel with the uncompressed image. Actually
I want to use the Kdump module for debugging. As per the document below
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/www.dedoimedo.com-kdump-tutorial-lm.pdf
the crash kernel (secondary kernel) used by the Kdump needs to have the
uncompressed image named 'vmlinux' and not 'vmlinuz'.
I copied the 'vmlinux' image from /usr/src/linux (folder where source code
for the crash kernel resides) to /boot and renamed it
as vmlinux-2.6.25.14-kdump

Modified grub.conf as mentioned below (LILO is not used)

title Fedora (2.6.25.14-kdump)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinux-2.6.25.14-kdump ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
        initrd /initrd-2.6.25.14-kdump.img

When I reboot into this kernel, I get the following error:
"Error 13: Invalid or unsupported exectable format"

It may be because bzImage is expected. How do I may it work? Please advise
me on this. I am pretty new to Linux environment.
Thank you.

--
Regards,
Mani