[F11] sound mutes at 50%

Zacharie Elcor zelcor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:31:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>wrote:

> On 09-08-05 06:40:53, Zacharie Elcor wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > I have a sound problem since I installed F11 : if I lower volume
> > below 50%, no more sound (and 50% is too high).  I tried gnome-
> > volume-control, pavucontrol, alsamixer and they all have the same
> > behavior.
>
> This is how PA volume controls work, and appears to be By Design.  They
> have a logorythmic scale with about 100 dB range.  A mouse hover over
> the closed volume control may show the attenuation.  I think they are
> all intended to be left at or near maximum, and you are expected to
> control the actual volume with some other volume knob, say on your
> external amplifier.  This is problematic for those who aren't using an
> external amplifier, but that isn't PA's target audience.

strange design choice for a server aimed to be flexible...
I didn't face such a problem on F10.
I just need to get sound on earphones so disabling PA would probably be an
acceptable solution.
Do you know how to do that ? I already unchecked PA entry in gnome startup
applications and didn't find any service related to PA