editing files owned by root

Mick M. off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 11:52:55 UTC 2009

Hi;
  I am running a fully updated F11/KDE x64 box.

It seems to me that I used to be able to surf my filesysten as a user.
Find a file owned by 'root' and edit it.
Then either at the start or end of the edit (save), I would be asked for roots password.

Now I can edit a file owned by root, but cannot save it.
No prompt for password is given.

e.g. using dolphin defaults to 'gedit' then 'save' :

Could not save the file /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.
You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again.

Is this configuable/fixable:
I can of course sudo but not in a gui.

Mick M.

Standard guarantee applies - 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever comes first.