kmod-nvidia revisited

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 6 19:11:51 UTC 2009

Hi, folks.  I just wanted to say a few (more) words about the kmod-nvidia
issue that I raised yesterday.

First, I apologize for hijacking a previous thread.  I was just trying to grab
the address of the list.  The deeper ramifications didn't occur to me at the
time.

Second, as several people have pointed out (thanks), the drivers for the new
kernel are now available.  In fact, I discovered that they were already
available at the time I made my original post, but they evidently had not
propagated to the mirrors at that time.  My version of
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates.repo has the "baseurl" commented out, thus using
only the mirrors by default.  When I uncommented the baseurl line, I got the
update.

Third, I'd like to follow up on a comment made by Matthew Saltzman:

> If you install the akmod-nvidia package, it will rebuild the driver
> automatically when you boot a new kernel.

Given that flexibility and convenience, why even bother to have the binary
updates?  Is this just to save people from having to install gcc (or similar)?

Fourth, I do realize that if the new kernel is inconsistent with the current
video driver, then booting with the old kernel will fix, or at least work
around, the video problem.  But in some cases the kernel gets patched for
security reasons.  Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'd rather put up with having
inferior video output for a while than to risk having my system get infected.

Thanks for all of your comments.

-- Mike