windows XP deleted bootloader,need to reinstall it

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Aug 6 20:06:40 UTC 2009

devesh gade wrote:

> I had windows xp and fedora 9 in dual boot mode.Recently,I formatted my
> windows XP. during this process,XP had deleted the boot loader of fedora.
> I have tried to reinstall the boot loader by the installation cd in the
> rescue mode but it does not work.
> I also did a bit of googling and followed steps:
>
> Inserted installation cd in rescue mode and then following commands at the
> prompt:
> 1 grub
> 2 root (hd0,0)
> 3 setup (hd0)
> 4 exit
> 5 reboot
>
> However even after rebooting the grub screen does not show up at startup
> and Windows XP boots by default.
> Now,how do i get linux started??
> Or to say the least, how do i install the boot loader??

I'm not an expert in grub, but if I had been you I would have tried to find
the Linux kernel and initrd in the grub conversation:

	root (hd0,0) [Do you have your /boot on /dev/sda1 ?]
	kernel /vmlin[TAB] [This will list available kernels] root=/dev/sda3
		[or whatever]
	initrd /init[TAB] [Finish the initrd matching the kernel]
	boot

If this succeeds in booting, remember to say "sudo grub-install /dev/sda"
or whatever.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net