Two USB ports dissappeared...

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Aug 6 20:38:36 UTC 2009

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> Hello Everyone
> 	I am running a Fedora 11 system based on the Supermicro SuperWorkstation
> 5046AXB.  It has approximately 10-12 USB ports, with two on the front of the
> machine that are very handy for my camera and card reader.  Unfortunately, those
> two ports in front seem to have disappeared as far as Fedora is concerned.  I
> can plug my card reader into a port in the back and it automounts right away.
> But plugging anything into the front two ports does nothing.  Nothing in
> /var/log/messages, nothing...  Just to be sure I unplugged the cable that those
> two ports are connected to and plugged it back into the motherboard.  Still
> nothing.  My bios is set to support 12 USB ports.
> 	The really strange thing is that I have knowingly done nothing to cause this.
> The only thing that I can think of is that I just installed a DVD burner and
> perhaps something got damaged then.  Unfortunately I can't remember if I have
> used those USB ports since I put the DVD burner in.  I have even tried booting
> into a different kernel, to see if that might be the issue.  No joy...
> 	I'm hoping it is as simple as getting a new one of the removable unit that
> contains any optical drives I might have, in addition to the power button, reset
> button, two USB ports and assorted lights.
>
> Thank you in advance for anything you can do to help me :)
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

Dumb question - can you plug in something like a USB light and see
if it powers up? It does sound like a hardware problem. If it does
not, check if you plugged in the connector on the motherboard 1 row
down from where it should be. With some motherboards it is almost
impossible to see the pins because the plug blocks your line of site.

If possible, try plugging the cable into another connector as well.
With 12 USB ports, I am guessing you have more then one header.

Mikkel
--
I am not a number,
I am an individual with a unique number.