Two USB ports dissappeared...

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Thu Aug 6 23:33:18 UTC 2009

> On 08/06/2009 01:22 PM, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello Everyone
> > 	I am running a Fedora 11 system based on the Supermicro SuperWorkstation
> > 5046AXB.  It has approximately 10-12 USB ports, with two on the front of the
> > machine that are very handy for my camera and card reader.  Unfortunately, those
> > two ports in front seem to have disappeared as far as Fedora is concerned.  I
> > can plug my card reader into a port in the back and it automounts right away.
> > But plugging anything into the front two ports does nothing.  Nothing in
> > /var/log/messages, nothing...  Just to be sure I unplugged the cable that those
> > two ports are connected to and plugged it back into the motherboard.  Still
> > nothing.  My bios is set to support 12 USB ports.
> > 	The really strange thing is that I have knowingly done nothing to cause this.
> > The only thing that I can think of is that I just installed a DVD burner and
> > perhaps something got damaged then.  Unfortunately I can't remember if I have
> > used those USB ports since I put the DVD burner in.  I have even tried booting
> > into a different kernel, to see if that might be the issue.  No joy...
> > 	I'm hoping it is as simple as getting a new one of the removable unit that
> > contains any optical drives I might have, in addition to the power button, reset
> > button, two USB ports and assorted lights.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for anything you can do to help me :)
> >
> > Steven P. Ulrick
> >

> how about looking at dmesg output after boot, any burps in the hw
> enumeration?

Hello Jack
Using the following command: "grep -i usb dmesg" I got the following:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/dmesg-20090806

 "grep -i hub dmesg" returned the following:
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 6 ports detected
hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 2-0:1.0: 6 ports detected
hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 4-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
hub 5-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 5-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
hub 6-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 6-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
hub 7-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 7-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
hub 8-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 8-0:1.0: 2 ports detected

Anyone's help in interpreting all of this is greatly appreciated.

Steven P. Ulrick