Interrpreting modifier codes in /etc/inputrc ?? -- [SOLVED]

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Aug 7 13:30:30 UTC 2009

Hi;

I solved all my readline problems in .bashrc with
export INPUTRC='/etc/inputrc'.  Before I feel too sheepish ...

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 13:13 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have the following codes in my readline inputrc:
>
> # for linux console and RH/Debian xterm
> "\e[1~": beginning-of-line
> "\e[4~": end-of-line
> "\e[5~": beginning-of-history
> "\e[6~": end-of-history
> "\e[3~": delete-char
> "\e[2~": quoted-insert
> "\e[5C": forward-word
> "\e[5D": backward-word
> "\e[1;5C": forward-word
> "\e[1;5D": backward-word
> ... etc.
>
> Is there a tutorial or manual that explains or shows what those modifer
> codes mean.  That is, I know "\e" must mean ESC key but what does the
> various other codes (e.g. "[1~") mean -- for sure.
>
> I have read the ReadLine manual, and tried Xev and xmodmap -pm -pk with
> no elucidation.

The readline manual says:

        "1.3 Readline Init File
        The name of this file is taken from the value of the environment
        variable INPUTRC. If that variable is unset, the default is
        `~/.inputrc'. If that file does not exist or cannot be read, the
        ultimate default is `/etc/inputrc'."

Doesn't that sentence seem to say that if the INPUTRC environmental
variable is not set, readline ultimately defaults to '/etc/inputrc'.  I
wanted it to default to '/etc/inputrc' so I left it unset!  It never
dawned on me that I would have to export or set it to the default first.
It is sort of contrary to what default means -- isn't it?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3