Two USB ports dissappeared... (SOLVED)

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Fri Aug 7 14:13:10 UTC 2009

> Hello Everyone
> I am running a Fedora 11 system based on the Supermicro
> SuperWorkstation 5046AXB.  It has approximately 10-12 USB ports,
> with two on the front of the machine that are very handy for my
> camera and card reader.  Unfortunately, those two ports in front
> seem to have disappeared as far as Fedora is concerned.

Hello Everyone...
UGGGH!  Sorry for the noise.  At least now the fix to my problem is
about to be documented in case anyone else has the same problem.  It
it a combination Hardware/Brain Matter issue :)

The SuperMicro system that I am running can also be mounted in a
rack as a server.  So, they put the following items all together in
an enclosure that can be pulled out and turned 90 degrees so that
everything is in the proper direction when it is mounted in a rack:
1. Two slots for optical drives and such things
2. One slot for a floppy drive
3. A panel at the top that has the power button, an assortment of
lights, the reset button, and the two USB ports that I started this
thread over.

When I got this system I learned REAL QUICK that the cable for
everything but the USB ports comes unplugged real easy.  Now I see
that as kind of a safety feature to keep people from accidentally
yanking a cable and breaking something.  The cable for everything
BUT the USB ports is right where you can see it very clearly.

The cable for the two USB ports ON THE OTHER HAND :), is about a
half inch to an inch further back.  It does not come completely
disconnected as easily as the other cable does, BUT it can be pulled
out far enough to cause the issues that I have bothered this list
with...

But anyway, all is now well...

Thank you for your help,
Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.:  Hey Mikkel: I am now wrapping my plain text email messages at
column 68 (again, this is in KMail.)  I'm looking forward to seeing
the results.