auto-updates

Gar Nelson Gar.Nelson at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 7 14:35:21 UTC 2009

I'm not sure how Yum works with GNOME since I don't use it.  When I'm
using F11 at home, with KDE4, and there's an update, a Packagekit
plasmoid pops up and allow me the chance to review what it wants to
update.  I generally 'select all', but I have the option of selecting
whatever I want to update (or not update).  As extensive as the KDE
portion of package management is, I find it hard to credit that the
GNOME portion would be less capable.

If you want to do this manually, since you seem to want to turn off the
auto-update functions, my recommendation would be to install  the
"yumex" package to give yourself a GUI frontend to Yum. Then, whenever
you feel like checking for updates, run yumex and get as far away from
"Microsoftification" as possible.

Yumex is a really nice graphical front end to Yum.  I find I use it
fairly often to verify what I may have installed, remove stuff I don't
really need, see what packages offer a specific function (how many and
what packages have "webcam" in their description?) It provides a lot of
feedback on what it's doing that you may appreciate with a dialup account.

Hope that helps.
Gar

--
"The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily reflect any position of NOAA."