auto-updates

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Aug 7 15:12:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:48:21 +0530
Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> > they carefully researched how all other GUI software update
> > tools worked and made sure they left out everything that could
> > be considered remotely useful from all previous designs :-).
>
> It is not funny despite the smileys mostly because you are constantly
> being sarcastic instead of being helpful. Stop doing that.

OK, I'll leave off the smiley: I cannot for the life of me imagine
any train of logic that could lead to the overall design of
packagekit without assuming they were deliberately attempting
to make it as bad as they possibly could.

And, in fact, they may have been. There seems to be a large and
dangerous group of developers out there who base their
designs on some imaginary "average user" they seem to think has
an IQ of about 4. This is a lot like the Hollywood executives
churning out formula movies for their imaginary IQ 4 viewers.

Contrast that with Pixar where they makes movies they'd like
to watch themselves. Much more successful, much better movies.

The developers out there who give users no credit for brains
would be better off designing software they actually want to
use themselves, they might find others want to use it as well.