auto-updates

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:38:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:53:20AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 19:56:33 +0530
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > Can you try again now?
>
> OK, logging in as a standard gnome user with packagekit applet
> still enabled, I was indeed able to run yum update in a terminal
> without getting any messages about it being locked (of course
> there are no updates to apply since I already downloaded
> a slew of them early this morning, but at least there were
> no conflicts).

What you're seeing is an effect of the fact that free and open source
software doesn't stand still.  Expecting that things behave just like
they did just six months ago is not in line with how they actually
work.  This doesn't mean that you necessarily need to change what
you're doing if it works for you -- another nice effect of FOSS is
flexibility. ;-)