auto-updates

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 15:47:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 04:21:59PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> 2009/8/7 Tom Horsley <tom.horsley at att.net>:
> > OK, I'll leave off the smiley: I cannot for the life of me imagine
> > any train of logic that could lead to the overall design of
> > packagekit without assuming they were deliberately attempting
> > to make it as bad as they possibly could.
>
> Ha!
>
> > And, in fact, they may have been. There seems to be a large and
> > dangerous group of developers out there who base their
> > designs on some imaginary "average user" they seem to think has
> > an IQ of about 4. This is a lot like the Hollywood executives
> > churning out formula movies for their imaginary IQ 4 viewers.
>
> No, Susan, Bevan and Graham are real people, friends and family.

Something worth remembering before we insult people who are building
the things we're all able to use (or choose not to) for free.

A note on the supposedly useless interface -- my question is, why do
people care so much about a progress bar anyway?  When I get an update
alert, I right-click, tell the system to install updates, and go about
my work.  I don't care what the download speed is, since there are
usually things I care about more like the activity I'm busy with
already.  When the updates are done, if it's important I'll get a
notifier about restarting my session or the system.