auto-updates

Alan Evans ame.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 16:05:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Paul W. Frields<stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> A note on the supposedly useless interface -- my question is, why do
> people care so much about a progress bar anyway?  When I get an update
> alert, I right-click, tell the system to install updates, and go about
> my work.  I don't care what the download speed is, since there are
> usually things I care about more like the activity I'm busy with
> already.  When the updates are done, if it's important I'll get a
> notifier about restarting my session or the system.

Because, on my relatively slow DSL connection at home, I'd like to
know if updates are going to be finished downloading in a couple of
minutes or a few hours. When I'm ready to shut my computer off but
it's downloading updates, it's nice to know if I should just hang
tight for a few minutes or go off to bed and turn the machine off in
the morning.

There actually is value in knowing how long an unattended process is
going to take.