Does the nouveau driver support dual monitors ? How ?

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Fri Aug 7 18:14:48 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 10:28:18 am Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Kernel 2.6.29.6-217 installed this morning on my computer during a yum
> update.  There was no kmod-nvidia package.  My computer rebooted using a
> different video driver. nouveau ?
>
> Its all good except that I lost my dual display functionality and I need
> it back.
>
> Assuming the driver running is nouveau, how does one set up dual display
> functionality ?   I ask this because a while back I read that using
> xorg.conf for setting things up is kind of taboo these days.  (This was
> in reference to initializing the Synaptics touchpad.)

but you can still do it.  my dual monitor setup which works perfectly without
ang gui setup tools (using KDE):

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Default Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"

EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "DVI-I-0"
        Option       "LeftOf" "VGA-0"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "VGA-0"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
        Option       "DPMS" "Off"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        Driver      "nouveau"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Device0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E