auto-updates

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 8 02:55:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 12:29 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I see your point, but when you're at the mercy of the mirror providing
> the data, any estimate of time is difficult at best.

Having some idea is better than no idea.  Is one going to wait seconds,
minutes, or hours?  You can then decide what to do, postpone it, or do
it now.

I hate the Windows way, of doing everything hidden.  I don't know what
it's doing at a given moment, so I don't know if it's stalled, slow, or
just about to finish (booting, shutdown, updating, installing, etc.).
And because I can't see what it's doing, I can't do anything to resolve
it, when there is a problem.  This isn't the model to copy.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.