low-level formatter for linux

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Aug 9 02:08:23 UTC 2009

Tony Nelson wrote:
> On 09-08-08 11:54:37, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I'm not sure what you expect low level formatting to do for you,
>> backing up and writing and reading to every sector will force all
>> current bad blocks to be found,
>
> One thing is that each of those blocks requires a long seek to the
> replacement block.  After the drive manufacturer's low-level format,
> all the blocks are in order, with only short skips past the bad blocks,
> and possibly a slight reduction in the size of the spare blocks area.
>

>> but honestly "has developed many bad blocks" is another way of saying
>> "is failing" and is a hint to replace now. When a drive starts
>> relocating sectors (as seen in SMART), something is wrong with the
>> drive. ...
>
> Modern drives (last 8 or so years) have good support for automatic
> remapping of bad blocks, because bad blocks are expected at the
> magnetic domain sizes being used.  With Automatic Offline Testing
> enabled, most bad blocks are remapped before complete failure and
> without data loss.
>
> I've been using one "dying" drive for 7 more years now (with one low-
> level format), and another for about 4 more years.  I'm using a drive
> I found in a snowbank, without difficulty and without bad sectors.  I
> have SMART monitoring enabled, so email will be sent to root if SMART
> gets unhappy, and Auto Offline Data Collection enabled, so blocks are
> being salvaged as they go bad.  I'm /not/ using that panicky Palimpsest
> (gnome-disk-utility applet), so I don't get spurious warnings (moderate
> numbers of reallocated sectors are not bad -- though offline-
> uncorrectable and pending sectors are bad).

Depends on your ratio of time to money. I just bought a 500GB WD "green" drive
for about $55, I don't have to spend time fiddling with backups (not to mention
trusting them) other than the regular, and I can do each of the steps to clone
and verify, including the drive swaps, in time increments shorter than a
commercial break or a kernel compile. So I can watch a game or race with my wife
or while something downloads, or compiles, or I'm on hold with vendor support,
and I value my time a lot more than $55. Actually if I save billable time I make
money, but that's a different issue.

If you like to fiddle with computer hardware, or are on a tight budget, getting
the last rotation out of the drive makes sense. I regularly give my old drives
to my assorted relatives because replace or upgrade makes sense to me. I have an
obsolete machine with DBAN as the OS.  ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>