can't boot fresh install

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw_ at wolves.homeip.net
Sun Aug 9 12:16:21 UTC 2009

On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 08:02:42 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

> On 08/09/2009 04:17 AM, Alan Evans wrote:

> <snip>
>> I'm still confused about how anaconda can possibly mount a partition
>> (two, including the boot partition) when fdisk thinks the partition
>> table is invalid.
>
> The kernel is capable of dealing with HFS (Apple) partitions!
>
> I suspect that you failed to zero the MBR before moving the drive from
> the Mac to the Linux box.  If you use the hfsutils or hfsplus-tools
> package you'll get a set of tools that can "see" the partitions for that
> drive. Thes tools are not installed by default. ("yum info *hfs*")
>
> Good luck.

Following myself up...

GRUB doesn't understand HFS partitions so you get the failure to boot.
Once you get a look at the HFS or HFS+ partitions, note the sizes and
locations of the partitions and *perhaps* you can recreate a matching
msdos partition table with fdisk.

Too tired... need more than 4 hours of sleep.

--
G. Wolfe Woodbury