FC 11 Boot mode single user [recovery password]

sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:15:02 UTC 2009

rgheck wrote:
>On 08/10/2009 09:01 AM, Tiago Araujo wrote:
>> Dear,
>>
>> I need recovery password in FC 11.
>>
>I don't think there is a recovery password. If you boot into single
>user mode, you won't be asked for one. Will you?

You will if you have password-protected single user mode - in which
case you need your normal root password (there is no default).

It's set in /etc/inittab via a line that says:
su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

Mine says:
~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin

which I think means disabled - but I haven't got the hang of this
upstart initialisation scripts yet so I may be wrong.

The only alternative, if you don't have the root password is to boot
off an install or Live CD with the words "linux rescue" and then you
can check your filesystems and do maintenance without knowing the root
password for your regular install.

--
Sam