quotas on nfs share

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Aug 13 00:38:09 UTC 2009

Aldo Foot writes:

> I wanted to add the command I use at the client.
>
> client> mount -t nfs -o rw -o usrquota server:/mnt/p1 /mnt/p1
>
> usrquota is not listed in the mount options. Why?
>
> client> mount -l | grep p1
> server:/mnt/p1 on /mnt/p1 type nfs (rw,addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

It seems to me that quotas, if any, would need to be enabled or implemented
on the server, and not the client. This client has no clue, of course, if
any other client is mounting the same export on the server. Some other
client may very well be creating files, using the same userid, which impacts
the user's quota.

Therefore, logically, if there's something that needs to be done to
implement quotas, you'll want to look on the server, not the cient.