quotas on nfs share

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 01:56:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Sam Varshavchik<mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:
> Aldo Foot writes:
<.....>
> Why don't you try to blow through the user's quota, from the client. I
> suspect that you'll run into a brick wall, when the user's quota is used up.

That works on the server for an account local to the server.

> The issue is probably not that the quota doesn't work, but just that the
> client does not report the quota on the server.

Here's my thinking --correct me if I'm wrong.
Quotas are enforced at the server in the /etc/fstab on a filesystem.
You enforce quotas on a given user account on the server for a
filesystem; this account lives on the server and it's different from
any account on the client. So the quota settings for an account on the
server do not apply on the client.
When you're at the client, you mount a filesystem with quotas enabled,
then on the client edit quotas for a local account on the client.

~af