Conversion of ext4 to ext3 file system ?

Jay Mistry jaylinux53 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 16:53:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 21:33 +0530, Jay Mistry wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> > <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 12:39 +0530, Jay Mistry wrote:
> >         > I would like to convert / & /home partitions that are ext4
> >         to ext3.
> >         > Can this be done without loss of data ?
> >

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ext4_in_Fedora_11#What_about_backward.2Fforward_compatibility.3F
> >
> >         poc
> >
> >         --
> >
> > Ok, backward-incompatible.
>
> Not exactly. It depends on whether or not you enabled extents when using it
> as ext4.
>
> poc

I am not that technically proficient. The ext4 is for Ubuntu 9.04; Fedora 10
has ext3 and used to give console error messages about being unable to
umount the ext4 partitions during shutdown. I had to do a reset as the PC
stalled at that point.

Presently, I have added the 'noauto' option to Fedora 10's fstab file so
that the ext4 partitions are not mounted. This stopped the error messages
and enabled proper shutdown.

Jay

--
Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04  (i686)