Computer Slowing down on F11-X86_64

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 23:44:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 15:59 -0400, Jim wrote:
> F11/X86_64.
> Thunderbird, Firefox, everything is being slowed down.
>   Running ps aux give me this ,
>
> root      2141  1.5 24.0 1349116 243972 tty1   Ss+  Aug09  95:17
> /usr/bin/X -br -nolisten tcp :0 vt1 -auth /var/run/xauth/A:0-rJsTly
>
> mickey    2325  0.8  5.7 1048920 58852 ?       Sl   Aug09  49:08
> /usr/bin/plasma-desktop
>
> These are the two that seem to be taking up a lot of time.
> Any Ideals ?

The X and plasma-desktop processes were taking 1.5% and 0.8% of cpu at
the instant you ran 'ps', which is not a lot. The total cpu times are
impossible to evaluate without knowing how long the system has been up.
OTOH the memory occupancy looks high. Maybe something is leaking. It
would be more interesting to see the line for Firefox (or Tbird) which
is what you specifically mention. I've noticed that FF definitely has a
memory leak, almost certainly due to one or more add-ons, which I'm
trying to track down at the moment. I find I need to quit and restart it
(just FF) every few hours. I don't know about Tbird as I rarely use it.

Also, try to quote these things without line breaks, and with the
appropriate column headers to make then readable.

> The properties on the /var/run/xauth/A:0-rJsTly file says it's unkown,
> it appears to be a binary file from the icon.

It's the Xauth authorization file, used to control client access to the
X server. It's regenerated every time X starts up so it always has a
different name. Don't worry about it.

poc