Sorting Music by Composer

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Aug 14 18:37:05 UTC 2009

Ian Malone wrote

>> Anyone got any better ideas for a program which will deal with a tree of
>> Â composers, with albums as leaves underneath?
>>

> Hasn't been written so far as I know.  The "artist - name" model is so
> pervasive in music tagging that everyone who listens to classical
> music eventually gives up and puts the 'composer' in the artist tag
> and performers (if they care) in the album name.

Yes, I just gave up and set up a Playlist for each Composer in
RhythmBox, which already treats the composer as the 'Artist', I suppose
because that is the tree structure I use.

  I quickly read your instructions for Quodlibet. The fact that one has
to go through such steps is, I think, adequate evidence that the UIi
needs some re-thinking. But I have already trashed the program. When I
cannot get a program to do a thing which it clearly must do, but that 5
or 6 different methods or attempts fail to work, then, 'the fault lies
not in us'....And it's gone! Forever!

Geoff
Why yes, I do have a low irritation threshold for this sort of thing!