Local cache / 'repo' of updates and added RPM's

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Aug 15 20:38:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 01:05:29 +0530,
  Jay Mistry <jaylinux53 at gmail.com> wrote:

> As an extension of this: is it possible to upgrade a Fedora 10 install to
> Fedora 11, by using the Fedora 11 DVD as a local repository ? This would
> save me (and also lot of other people who do not have fast Internet
> connections and/or with time-capped Internet subscriptions), a lot of
> bandwidth and time (and $$).

Yes. That's what happens normally when you upgrade using a DVD or CD.
You possibly still want to enable the updates and everything repositories
to handle updating stuff that is either not on the DVD/CD or stuff that
has had updates since the DVD/CD image was created. In your case you may
not want to do that, because that could trigger a lot of downloading
that you may want to spread out over time.