Updating methods

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 14:20:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 14:46 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > 	Would somebody please explain to me, again, in words of one
> > syllable, why we're putting up with all the un-Linux-like rebooting? What
> > am I gaining on my machines, or losing on hers??
>
> Updated libraries for apps that are running.
>
> Basically if you know what you are doing you can look at what updated and
> restart a few daemons or tell the user to log out and log back in, or
> restart firefox and so on.

I've had an idea at the back of my mind for quite a while now that it
wouldn't be beyond a smart hacker to detect when the loaded libraries
are different from the installed ones. This could either be done
statically (look at the mapped segments in memory) or at library install
time -- if the .so is currently in use then make a note of which apps
are linked to it before replacing it with the updated one. The latter
could be built-in to the rpm code.

poc