HDA Intel sound card problem

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Sun Aug 16 17:45:46 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 17:27:33 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 16 August 2009, William Case wrote:
> >Hi;
> >
> >I would make two suggestions then I will drop unnecessary comments.
> >
> >On Sun, 2009-08-16 at 15:57 +0200, dariusz rojewski wrote:
> >> 2009/8/16 William Case <billlinux at rogers.com>
> >>         Hi Darekr;
> >>
> >>         Be warned, I am usually reluctant to post technical responses
> >>         on this
> >>         list because I am new at it.  However ...
> >>

> >> i tried to play via mplayer and i don't hear anything :) hmm.. but i
> >> noticed it plays with headphones. Uhhm.. :] it works under other
> >> distributions, so the solution must exist... :) thx
> >
> >1) Make sure that the "PCM" slider in alsamixer or one of its gui's
> >(Advance volume, Gmixer etc.) is 100% open.
> >
> >2) Ubuntu users seem to be having the same kind of problems.  Google for
> >your problem but use Ubuntu as a key word.  Check to see if your problem
> >exists with them.  If it does, it is probably an upstream broken driver
> >and needs a Bug report or additional comment on an existing bug.
> >
> >I have removed PulseAudio as well.  I have spent a couple of weeks
> >(months?) on this and have not yet solved it.  I have learned that
> >PulsAudio is unlikely the culprit.  By removing PulseAudio, posting on
> >the Alsa mailing list and reading all the Fedora ALSA bug reports (and
> >there are a lot of them) I have become convinced that the solution lies
> >somewhere between a Sound_Driver => ALSA.  Once ALSA is working,
> >PulseAudio will work.
> >
> >--
> >Regards Bill
> >Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3
> >Evo.2.26.3, Emacs 23.1.1
>
> I doubt that for those of us who have more than one sound facility in our
> hardware.  Alsa works fine, with PA disabled/nuked.

PA is simply one layer that, if it works with your chipset, allows control of
more than one channel.  If it doesn't work with your chipset it falls back to
the alsa controls.  There is no way that PA is responsible for 90% of the
things people claim - it's simply not possible.

Yes, you can disable it or remove it, if you choose, but if also would work
without it, it will also work with it.  FWIW PA works well on a couple of
fedora installs here, but not on this laptop.  Every day I see a notification
that it can't work with my chipset, so sound will fall back to Default (which
is alsa).  I have no sound problems whatsoever.  I don't know a single
application that doesn't work as expected (though naturally I haven't tried
every available one).

Anne