installing Fedora 11 on dual-boot machine changes active partition?

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Sun Aug 16 21:00:20 UTC 2009

My father has a dual-boot Vista/Fedora 11 machine, with Grub on the MBR.
 He recently enabled recommended updates in Vista, and it wanted him to
install SP2, but he was unable to.  At Stage 3, after rebooting, it got
to 100% but then failed and reverted the changes.  The associated error
number was 80004005.  We found that the source of the problem was that
the active partition was the Fedora /boot partition, not the Windows
one.  By using Vista's Disk Management tool to make the Vista partition
active again, the problem was solved.  Grub doesn't seem to care which
partition is active (at least if it's on the MBR).  Looking at old saved
fdisk output from 2 of my machines, I suspect that F11 changed the
active partition, and that in F10 and earlier, the Windows partition was
active.  Is this new behavior in the F11 installer (to change the active
partition, even though Grub doesn't care), and if so, is it deliberate?