ebooks and fedora?

rgheck rgheck at comcast.net
Sun Aug 16 23:00:45 UTC 2009

On 08/16/2009 11:16 AM, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to download and read ebooks within Fedora
> (or Linux in general) ?
>
> I am thinking of for example the WHSmith ebook site (UK) at
> http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk
>
> Some of my family are avid readers of books and ebooks might be a good way
> to go. However the site implies that you have to install Digital Editions
> which appears to be both proprietary and Windows/MAC only.
>
> So the question is - can one still download and read ebooks say of the type
> EPUB EBOOK and still read them in a Fedora system?

All of that is likely to depend upon DRM or not DRM, though of course
there are various ways to remove DRM, if you're inclined to commit a
felony. But the general answer is that, yes, you can read ebooks on
Fedora. Check out calibre, which is a general purpose ebook viewer and
format converter. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a Fedora
package, but I have managed to install it, though I had to do a bit of
work to get it to compile. See this thread:
   http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53094
You might want to check out the other forums there, too.

rh